
When Mark and I returned from Harrison, and relieved my parents from weekend childcare duty, we decided to take the kids for a bike ride.
Our city is full of bears, particularly up in Minnekhada park, where we decided to take the kids cycling. Now Mark and the kids think it would be great to see a bear. I, however, beg to differ. I do not want to see a bear, particularly a new Mama Bear and a cub or two while I am out with my own little cubs.
At a lookout we learned that a mama and 2 cubs had just been through the trails about 10 minutes earlier. That's all my husband needed to hear: Mark wanted to go on a bear hunt.
I began fervently praying that the bears would not like our smell, or the bike bells Josh and I kept ringing, and stay FAR away! I was very relieved when we returned bear-less to our van at the end of the ride. Really - we had a gorgeous ride along the river, through the park, gazing at blueberry farms, and forest, and goats. Who needs to spot a bear?
But Mark was not satisfied. Once we were all loaded up, we went North, along gravel roads, until we came across a young, year-old bear on the side of the road. This was really win-win: Mark and the kids saw the bear, I felt safe knowing we were in the van, and the bear was just off the road, maybe 12 feet away, watching us curiously, but he too was safe from us.
1 comment:
Is this photo the actual bear? He's pretty cute.
What is it about people (me, included) and our fascination with seeing bears? Seriously...they are huge & have really big teeth!
Loved this commentary...and VERY glad you all are safe!!!
Post a Comment