Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Autumn and Remembrance Day

Our yard is a pretty decent size, surrounded by many large trees. As we had a brief reprieve from the rain on Saturday, all of us went out back to rake together.


Look at those smiling faces - my kids LOVE helping out with the chores. I'm saving these pics forever as evidence! Despite the work involved, I really love fall - I love looking out to see the browns, oranges, yellows and just a touch of red that covers the landscape. Monday even brought a touch of sunshine to our week.






Although I didn't have a camera with me today, our family did enjoy taking the time to head to the Remembrance Day ceremony held today at City Hall. I was so impressed to see hundreds of(maybe even a thousand?) people gathered around the cenotaph, with the RCMP in their Red Serge, Firefighters, Corrections officers, cadets and of course, veterans, all in uniform to honour those who have served our country, and remember those who died.
The rain poured on the crowd, and a light breeze shook leaves from the trees, but it did not dampen the pride I felt in my community that came together to remember. I am always touched by the hum of bagpipes, and later the trumpet that sounds the last post as we take a moment of silence to pause and remember.
At one point, Lucy complained that she was wet and cold. I said that was okay, the soldiers who fought in WWI, that ended 90 years ago today, lived in mud trenches for weeks at a time. They were pretty cold and wet - our 30 minutes of discomfort is a small privilege we can share with them.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:... a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. Ecclesiastes 3:1, 7b-8

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Great pics Erin! We've had fun raking leaves as well. We don't have any trees with leaves in our back yard, but our neighbor two doors over does, so we helped him rake his leaves and then the wind blew some in to our yard too;0)