I went to Quebec last week with 25 7th graders. It was my fourth trip taking French Immersion students to Quebec for a cultural experience. This is the third time I've gone to the Auberge du Mont in St.Gabriel-de-Valcartier, 20 minutes from Quebec City. The Auberge is attached to a private school (Ecole du Mont-Saint-Sacrement) that used to board it's students, and now brings in immersion groups January-June.We flew into Montreal - just at the start of one of the worst snowstorms to hit the region in 50 years. We were amazed to see that we were the only flight to get in - the plane was definitely shaking as we landed! I don't think I will ever forget the sight of seeing the snow out the window blowing completely horizontal!
This was the best group of students I have ever taken! I heard not a single complaint or whining from any of them... even when we were looking for accomodations in the storm because the highways were closing and we could not get to the Auberge Saturday night.
While we were in Quebec city the region broke records for accumulated snowfall: 460cm! The 2 days after the storm were gorgeous, blue skies and sunny! We went snowshoeing on site up to a wall of ice... I've included a photo of Martine and I in the ice cave - very cool! When we took off our snowshoes, we sank up to our hips in the snow. We had the best day tubing at Village Vacances Valcartier - and tried out ice-skating there for the first time. Just need some Beavertails and it would be perfect!
The other pic I've included above is of me at Montmorency Falls. We were following a trail of packed down snow. I was very nervous about the kids getting too close to the fence. It was seriously only ankle height because of snow! (Usually chest height). And I'm resting my foot on a garbage can that would normally stand 4 feet high!
The other special part of the trip was being in Quebec City the year of it's 400th anniversary. It is really one of my favourite cities in the world for it's beauty and history! I highly recommend a visit to the Old City... especially to the Plains of Abraham and the Odyssey multimedia presentation at the Discovery Pavillion to understand the history. We also spent time in the Martello tower for a look at life as a British soldier. This summer they will be doing multimedia spectacles at the marina in the Old Port against the silos. It sounds fantastic!Of course a visit to Quebec is not complete without a shopping trip to Simons... Martine had never gone before and was quite delighted with the experience!
In Montreal we always take the students to Point-a-Calliere, a terrific archaeology museum. About 3 blocks from the museum is a new restaurant "Caberet du Roy" - a 1708 themed restaurant where we had breakfast. It was fun to watch the kids churn butter for our bread, and they got to try out the stocks as punishment. (My late-risers got to try!)
I had a great time... but am really glad to be home with Mark and the kids again! I'm still trying to work my way through the mountain of laundry here though... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment