Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:4-9
Tonight my precious daughter was in a lot of pain: we call them growing pains. After church we went skating for 1.5 hrs and then went on a family walk with the dog that turned into a 2 hour hike (we took a wrong turn in Minnekhada park). Lulu-belle was complaining for the last 1/2 hour that her legs hurt, and her sweet daddy gave her a shoulder ride for 10 minutes (she's 6! she's getting heavy!). Home to a hot bubble bath, and then she fell asleep, cuddled by that sweet daddy.
She woke up 2 hours later, crying in pain again: pain behind her knees, through her shinbones to her ankles. Thrashing and crying in pain. I can remember waking up with these pains as a child, and her older brother has done the same. We used to call them growing pains, but I read an article last year that suggested shoes may be the cause. Thinking back - she wore rental skates for 1.5 hours, then little sneakers going up rocky hills, and down root-exposed knolls. We jumped over mud puddles and took little detours across slippery logs in the lush-green woods (aah... January on the West coast!).
So I lay with her for an hour, hot water bottle under her knees, soothing her with every hymn and spiritual song I could think of while I rubbed her legs. I sang "'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus" (my hymn for her), and "Holy, Holy, Holy"; "Amazing Grace" (her brother's special hymn), and "Be thou my vision". I sang "I Surrender All" and "Joyful, joyful we adore thee". Then I moved on to "I will dwell" and "As the deer pants for the water" and "God is so good" and "Lord you are more precious than silver"... songs I hadn't sung in ages. So many of them full of scripture, I felt as though I were singing the psalms. I was teaching Lucy to "rejoice in the Lord always, I say it again, rejoice!" (Phil.4:4) - my verse I always speak into her life. Even when we are in pain and can't rest, God is there, and He is faithful and good. We will lift our hands in praise to him, no matter what the circumstance. We will choose to focus on Him who is full of love and mercy.
And in that dark stillness, in my daughter's bed, Jesus was there. Her breathing slowed, her muscles relaxed... peace came in with the Prince of Peace. I could sense Him there, speaking words of love to my beloved daughter.
I recently read a great book by Canadian author David Kitz called "Psalms Alive!", which I very much enjoyed. It has 25 chapters that each go through bringing a different portion of the psalms to life. I am currently reading Eleanor Gustafson's book, The Stones, which brings the story of King David (author of many of the psalms) to life. Though growing pains may not be much of a hardship, even pain can be a gift that brings us closer to the One who created, loves and heals.
The joys and pains of today make me want to sing the Doxology (something our late friend, pastor and former roomate of Mark's, Dale Shaw, encouraged regularly):
Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above the Heavenly Host,
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment