Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Day After Tomorrow?

I have lived on the west coast for almost my whole life (minus university-years). I can not remember a year with so much crazy winter-weather. On the news last night they said we have had 14 storms so far this season. And it's only mid-January! Rains, floods, winds, snow, one after the other, in continuous cycles.

Last week's windstorms had us so nervous, we camped out in the construction zone of our basement - just in case a tree hit our house. The kids thought it was an adventure to wake up in sleeping bags, on air mattresses in the basement.
Then 2 days ago, winds knocked down a tree that brought down hydro wires a block from our home. We went without power for 28 hours! It was very cold as the temperatures dropped (furnace is gas, but the fans are electric) and it started to snow the next day! It seems that every week we have at least 3 different extreme weather systems coming through. As I write now, we are looking out at a beautiful 10 inches of snow, but the roads are pretty icy. How about a sunshine storm passing through? Systems of blue skies?

My grade 7 students love the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". Mark and I saw it a few weeks ago, and it is scary! A wee bit far-fetched, it shows extremes in weather conditions due to global warming hitting the USA. I have thought often of that movie in the last 5 weeks. I have yet to see the Al Gore movie about climate change, but I'm becoming a believer.

2 comments:

Tawny said...

this weather is crazy! I guess we should take the snow, compared to the wind and the rain, at least we can play in this stuff!

Esther said...

SO-o-o-o glad you're OK through all this! And windy Chicago has had the most GREEN winter I've seen in the 16 years we've been here. I keep looking for the bulbs to start poking up.