The day before Valentine’s Day – a day
dedicated to LOVE… and I struggle with wondering how well I am loving my
family, how well I am teaching my children to love.
After school, the kids bicker. Tone,
misunderstandings, purposeful button pushing. One child is anxious to get to
soccer practice on time, yet one key piece of his required uniform didn’t make
it into the dryer. 100% cotton t-shirts do not dry in 10 minutes. Failed
again. Every single soccer practice and game,
the boy and I hunt for some obscure piece of equipment or clothing that has
mysteriously not made it into the soccer pile. Sometimes I think laundry is
holding me back from reaching my full potential as a parent. On my parenting
report card “Laundry: clean clothes (specifically sports uniforms) are an area Erin can improve on.”
The boy is finally ready, and we arrive 5
minutes into warm-up. Boy jumps out of the van, the girl and I yell “WE LOVE
YOU!!!” out the window as loud as we can as he runs off to his field. He used
to turn red in embarrassment, but now he knows this is part of his routine.
I entertain the girl – a treat at the
coffeehouse, a game of hangman, we hang out at the playground, literally. I
take photos of the girl hanging upside down, and enjoy her silliness. Then the
practice finally ends.
5:15, we pile into the van for the drive
home in rush hour. I choose the route home that has fewer traffic lights, more
trees. Driving a couple 100 metres through a stretch of forest is calming for a
few seconds. But I am not so calm as the boy and girl pick on one another. They
push each other’s buttons. We arrive home, girl retreats to the family room to
play a video game, boy starts on homework, I starts dinner. Boy hears sister on
video game and makes his move. I hear screeching, bickering, a daily battle in the
Sibling War. They are tired, they are hungry. They don’t have much left in them
to offer as love or patience or kindness.
I march down the stairs, announcing that
“Mom is on the way, be warned!” I calmly
(which is unusual, as my default is to scream at them) turn off the game and
the television, send them both to their rooms with this directive: write your sibling a love note.
My husband returns home at this point, the
children explain their assignment, he helps (!) with dinner (Yeah!), and we
enjoy a good meal. Food, sustenance, patience returns. My kids are kind
again. The girl has us laughing at the
table.
We clean-up from the meal and I look
forward to my girlfriends arriving. It is Home Group night. 6-10 women gather
every other week in my home and we talk, laugh, sip tea, read and discuss a
book, God, faith and our struggles. February is beating many of us down. Lack
of joy, lack of peace, and lack of patience with families… we are not alone in
our feelings of failure and frustration.
We stop – sing Happy Birthday to a friend and eat cake. We rejoice in
the good things. We pray for one another. One friend dashes off to nurse her
baby at home, saying, “I don’t know girlfriends. You may think you’re messing
up, but I think you’re pretty great!”
Yes. This is why we gather. We confess our
faults, our failures, our sins. We listen. We cry and console. And then we turn
to the one who brought us together. We lift up our concerns to the One who is
concerned for us. We ask to see ourselves, our family, and our challenges from
His point of view. We part encouraged, connected, and more peaceful than when
we arrived.
Friends help me carry teacups and plates to
the kitchen. There is small chat at the door as shoes are slipped on, and one
by one, friends slip out the door and drive home. I tidy up. Find my loved ones sleeping. Kiss
the girl, the boy, the husband. Go back to turn out lights and notice a paper
on the floor by the girl’s bed: a love note from her brother.
I read it and smile.
“Dear L,
We fight sometimes but I still love you.
You are creative, funny and pretty. I enjoy watching you play basketball and I
love your artwork. I hope you do achieve your dream.
From J.
p.s.: 3 John 1:11, 1 John 3:1, Philippians
4:4”
My Father in Heaven LOVES me. He LOVES my
family. This note touches my heart and fills it with joy. I pray regularly that
my children would love one another. And my prayer is answered. They do.
No comments:
Post a Comment