Tuesday, December 1, 2009

An evening well spent

Last night I ventured out to church.  The last Monday of the month, our church hosts "Just 4 Me", the women's ministry night.  There's coffee and treats, door prizes, worship and then we split into smaller groups for prayer, or a cooking class, or a "Woman of Faith" testimony, or a crafty session - or some healthy activity.  Always at least 5 choices to make.
Last night I was waffling between Judy's "Decorating for Christmas" (she's our very own, local Martha Stewart - but with a great sense of humour!) and hearing Samantha's testimony. I chose Samantha's story, and I am so grateful I did!

Samantha is a beautiful young woman of about 22. 10 years ago I taught her art, and possibly coached her basketball, at middle school.  I remember her red hair and a twinkle in her eyes.  A boy in my core class was so lovesick, he could not help but stare at her through every art class!  I was so sad to hear of what Samantha struggled with as a child: her father's unfaithfulness, her parent's divorce, her father living next door with the other woman and her children.  There was also abuse by a family member, anxiety that led to OCD, that led to drug addiction in her teens.  I had no idea of any of this. Yet last night she shared her story to a room of women and teenaged girls. She was nervous, but God was the focus.

God's hand has so evidently been on her life... despite the struggles, and 2 near death experiences (a car accident and a random shooting), she is alive, full of life and hope. God miraculously took away the desire for drugs - He is healing her.  He has a plan and a purpose for her life.  And I had tears in my eyes.

As a public school teacher, I pray silently for my students.  Sometimes I pray over their desks in the morning before school, or in a quiet moment while they are bent over working, and I am watching over them. I was so convicted, listening to Samantha's story, of how important it is to continue praying for my students.  I often do not know about their private or home-life struggles.  Sometimes they share, sometimes they keep it all inside.  I do not openly talk about my faith with my students - I just love them. Yet, I know He who does know them, understand them, love them.  I will continue to lift them up to the One who longs to be a part of their lives and who has the power to save, heal, deliver.

I am so thankful for Samantha - who thanked me for being there last night to listen. There is something powerful about a life story. I'm so glad I know the Author.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Thanks for posting this story about both you and Samantha. Thank you for loving and praying, Erin.

Darcey said...

Yes, thank you for reminding me of my own conviction to pray over my students. It is one of the things I'm looking foward to doing when I go back to work.